Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Britney

Carole King is always there for me when my heart is breaking.  When I'm having trouble relating I turn to Lou Reed.  I listen to Joni Mitchell when the world is feeling heavy (man).  Certain albums transcend the boundaries of certain moods, Britney Spears' self titled 2001 release is one of these emotional catchalls.   There is female empowerment in the tracks "Cinderella" and "Stronger".  "Overprotected" and "Not a Girl Not Yet a Woman" are coming of age anthems.  And the ultimate Spearstastic experience that is "I'm a Slave 4 U."  Nine years after it's release the album has somehow maintained it's pop-ripeness.  Still able to get me through the heartbreak, dissociation and weight of the world.  

1 comment:

  1. I love your honesty here & appreciate anyone willing to share a pleasure not always well-received

    ReplyDelete